Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Meeting Industry People

Thank goodness for that long President’s Day weekend we just had!

I love being at Lasell, but everyone needs a break from classes and internships now and again. Plus, I think too many late night trips to the Campus Center for delicious pancakes and buffalo chicken wraps are taking their toll…

I had a really interesting class last week in Publication Editing, with adjunct Professor Patrick Kennedy, who works at Boston University as an editor in the Office of Creative Services. He arranged for us to have a Q and A with Joe Keohane, former editor of the Weekly Dig. Keohane was personable, down to earth, and taught us a lot. He told us about the dynamics between writer and editor, teaching us that in order to be a journalist, you cannot be overly sensitive. You’re going to get your work edited, cut and sometimes completely overhauled, he said.

Personally, I used to hate whenever a teacher would grab that infamous red pen and “ruin” my work. But now I realize editing can be good for you and helps you grow as a writer.

I also recently attended an Intercultural Communication seminar hosted by the International Association for Business Communicators for FREE. Plus the seminar’s featured speaker was the author of the book we used in my intercultural communication class. Now that’s what I call “Connected Learning”, (Lasell’s motto f.y.i)

I thought that whole “Connected Learning” idea was just a motto, but I'm really seeing that this is how Lasell delivers education.

No comments:

Post a Comment