Thursday, April 14, 2011

Communication: My "Field of Dreams"

As I near the day of graduation from Lasell College, my eyes have opened a little wider and I've started to realize just how lucky I am to know what I want to do. The things I've learned, both at Lasell as a student and an intern, have helped me to know exactly what I want career-wise. For me, it's a passion I wake up every day and strive to reach my goal, at night I fall asleep dreaming of the day my goal is achieved. Sometimes, wanting something so badly can be overwhelming, and I need to remind myself to step back and appreciate the opportunities I've had while continuing to work towards my dream. Yet there are many people worldwide who don't have a clue what they want to do. While working at my part-time waitressing job, I find myself amongst a range of people. A highschool student, a college graduate studying for a medical exam, college grads who don't have a clue what they want, and then there's me: mingling among the masses, smiling at every table as I practice my camera-face, and trying not to drop the burning-hot plates and remember every order as if it were critical information for an article at my internship. We could all be a tv series, if MTV wanted to know what's REALLY in the "Real World". Many people have warned me that sometimes, sticking around in a waitressing job is what happens when after graduation, you lose a set schedule. I lose the cozy little office at my internship, I lose the classy-comfortable dorm room in a victorian house, I lose the loan-covered food everyday I pay for with a swipe, I lose the mandatory assignments which keep me on my toes, I lose the constant surrounding of fellow struggling professionals-in-training, I lose the clubs, I lose the professors who so lovingly grace me with advice. Personally? I'm not worried about what I leave behind here. I leave behind four years of hard work and achievements I'm proud of. I worry, instead, about doing too much. Strange to some, but ever since I found what I want, I refuse to fail and have a tendency to overwork myself. Even on spring and winter break, my ClassE blogs can't stop. Nor can my acting, my modeling, my songwriting-or my part-time job, which will now go full-time. The question more is, how do I take what I've learned at my internship and Lasell and make sure I don't get stuck waitressing? Constant pitching of myself is the answer-or so I'm told. But I've been trained to do that, too, from pitching stories at my internship and via practice in internship seminar. Maybe there are other grads like me-we're not worried about having nothing to do, because we won't. We're not worried about finding "a job" to please our parents, because nothing will do except a job connected to what we want. (Even if it means scrubbing the floors of the place we want to be VP). We're worried about survival of the fittest in a world that won't operate on a loan system, that instead sends you bills for loans. But I've found it's best not to overstress yourself about these things for weeks at a time (as I've been doing), but to enjoy your experience and remember the old italian saying, "que seda seda": Whatever will be, will be. I believe it we work hard as we can, what will be is exactly what we've worked for: the goal career in my field of dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment