Thursday, April 28, 2011

Red Carpet Treatment-Literally

Tonight, I'm fortunate enough to be invited to NewTV's Red Carpet Gala 20th Anniversary Event (say that five times fast), thanks to an invite from a professor of mine and Michelle. My first thought was how excited I was to go to a red carpet event for television, since my recent decision to pursue a career in it 125%. My second thought was what to wear! Given, that's probably every woman's thought attending the Gala this evening (and maybe half the men's), but I had a different angle to consider: dressing in a way that was sophisticated, conservative, yet would make me stand out in a crowd to anyone looking for someone to join their station.

Hmm..well, at the last red carpet event I went to I wore a leopard-skin dress, shiny gold heels and long earrings. That surely isn't conservative. Then I thought of a classy little black dress I had sitting in the closet-but what part of that piece stands out? I like to wear something that can be a conversation-starter, and that surely was far too plain. Finally, I've settled myself on an appropriately length-ed navy blue halter dress. Satisfied.

Wait..the shoes? It's important to wear heels, but in representing my internship, they have to also be an appropriate height and color. Hmm..black and blue are generally a no-no. White? Tan? Green for spring? No, the green are too strappy. Crap. And what about a jacket? It's warm out, but it may rain.

For these situations, I believe in plain shoes, and a light blazer or shawl. Just because the title says "red carpet" doesn't mean one has to boast an Oscar de Larenta ball gown, and it's definitely not appropriate to skimp-it-out on this one, especially if you're looking to evolve from college life.

Last but not least is hair and make-up. It's important to present yourself, in addition to your communication skills, well. There's much to be said for overdoing it, or under-doing it for that matter. Here's a list of steps I take when applying make-up for an event out:

1) Boscia Vitamin C treatment- This serves as a base for my super-dry skin, yet also gives it a healthier base than even moisturizer can provide. It moisturizes, yet uses parsley and other repair-focused ingredients to help heal any mishaps on my face while I cake it with makeup.
2) Boscia Tinted moisturizer-OPTIONAL-you've already moisturized, but this is always a cheaper alternative to a base and should be used on a daily basis to keep your skin hydrated. As you can see, I' m a huge Boscia fan.
3) Korres Face Primer-OPTION 2- If you do not feel you need any more moisturizing, even out your palette with Korres Face Primer. A little bit goes a long way, and this is vital for making sure your skin tone is evenly prepared for the biggest step: Foundation.
4) MAKEUP FOREVER Liquid Foundation-MAKEUP FOREVER is popular among makeup artist professionals, and is perhaps the most crucial step to keeping your face fresh for the entire evening. In the summer and spring months powder can come off easy, so I enjoy liquid-yet pay attention to your neck here, so that you don't wind up with an unblended face.
5) NARS Bronzer-NARS is the leading brand of bronzer, which stole the stage once Cargo was set to be sold to CVS and was considered less effective. I suggest an appropriate dusting of bronzer.
6) NARS Blush-NARS makes a great blush, too. Controversial as the name is, the "Orgasm" blush by NARS is a favorite shade.
7) Sephora Eyeliner-There's no need to spend big bucks on eyeliner, honest. Apply as you see fit.
8) Maybelline Mascara-Always voted #1. Don't go overboard on this.
9) Sephora-colored shadows- I love Sephora brand color palettes.
10) TARTE lip gloss-Or your fave.
11) Michael Michael KORS leg bronzer- If you're not wearing tights, this can give you a nice glow.

There you have it, an intern's secret to dressing like a professional in a student's stilettos!

No comments:

Post a Comment