Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lasell's Sukkot

Today I celebrated the Jewish festival of Sukkot for the first time ever! Located directly to the left of Carpenter house, the tent- like, topless Sukkot occupied about an 8'x 10' block. Barbara Asinger did a fabulous job of gathering candy apples and hot apple cider for the celebration and Michelle and I sat in and observed the holiday as students passed through. I learned that the celebration was created in order to show appreciation for the sweetness of life.

I love attending unexpected events such as this, considering I am not jewish...and look forward to more to come. It is important for me to attend these events also in order to write more vividly about them in describing to the community how Lasell is becoming more spiritually diverse.

When I first got into the Sukkot, it was so nice just being able to feel the cool fall wind blowing through my hair and looking at the foliage. The event gave me a feeling of prosperity, with proof that one does not need to necessarily be Jewish in order to appreciate the celebration of another religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment