Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fall Interviews

Wow.. This semester is flying by!

In the midst of school, work and figuring out what my life will consist of post December graduation, I have been learning a lot of very interesting things through interviewing people and writing for this internship.

Michelle and I interviewed Mairead Van Heest of Sodexo dining in order to get the scoop on how Lasell's dining has become "more green". I learned many things from this interview. As a student that dines in the cafeteriea, I was suprised that I had not heard of many of the things Mairead told us. After the interview I noticed that the tables started having informative fliers on them, regarding the changes Lasell has made.

I learned that the trey belt they installed this semester is more energy efficient because it allows for students to not have to use a tray in order to send their dishes back into the kitchen. I also learned that excess vegetable oil is being recycled and used to heat homeless shelters this winter. Lastly, regarding heat, NStar has agreed to use Lasell for a pilot study this spring, allowing for students to control their own heat consumption. Lasell in turn, is going to offer their students prizes for having the most energy efficient residence hall.

Some other things I have learned include Lasell's purchase of sustainable fairtrade coffee and Nalgene bottles that offer each student a refill of a 16 oz. beverage for the price of a 12 oz. beverage once refilled. There are also now candy bars available at the campus center whose benefits go back toward stophunger.

Last but certainly not least Lasell is going to offer a can drive, with hopes of entering the Guinness Book of World Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment