Friday, March 13, 2009

Community politics...a learning experience

I had to cover a Sherborn selectmen meeting recently. When the Sherborn editor and my Newton editor asked me, I of course said yes even though I had never even heard of Sherborn.

And yes, I admit. I googled what a selectmen was.

I studied the news site about the issues that were to be discussed at the meeting and when I got there, realized I was way over my head. The terms “motion” and “bid” were thrown around in discussion over the construction of a new garage. I had no idea what was going on!

After the first (almost 4 hour) meeting, I had all the information down, quotes, figures etc…but had no clue what most of it meant. Thank goodness for the Sherborn editor and the Sherborn Town Administrator, they saved my life! The editor reminded me to write the article in “laymen’s” terms so I could stop being nervous about how to use the political and architectural phrases. I was to write for the people who read the Sherborn paper, not for a lawyer or architect.

I went to a follow-up meeting on the garage and knew exactly what they were saying and understood almost everything.

Michelle, who worked in newspapers, gave me tips and taught me that these types of meetings are the “bread and butter” of community newspapers. And although the meetings and politics can be complicated, the task is usually thrown to an intern or newbie reporters.

I’m glad I learned these lessons now. Perhaps I won’t get so nervous when I have to report on Newton’s 24 aldermen; Sherborn only had 3 (selectmen).

No comments:

Post a Comment