Tuesday, March 10, 2009

So, what exactly do I do?

I guess I never really explained what I do as a Communications Intern...

I work in the Office of Communication alongside Michelle Gaseau, the Director. I help Michelle put together stories for the school website and alumni newsletter. If there are possible story pitches, I usually contact the person involved or research the event or speaker. Then Michelle will ask me to create a media advisory notice or a blurb for a weekly "what's going on at Lasell" email.

For instance, today I attended a Torture and Democracy talk, something that I probably would not have gone too if it was not assigned. Michelle was away at a conference and wanted me to see how it was. Although the topic of torture is not generally a preferred subject for me, the speaker was entertaining and informative. I assume that I will write up a short blurb about it as an assignment tomorrow morning, which will help me practice reporting on events.

The assignments I am given are always varied, which keeps the days I work from blurring together. I am learning a lot about public relations and writing; two valuable skills that I can take with me to my future job in communications (well, hopefully I'll find a job in communications!)

No comments:

Post a Comment