Thursday, March 3, 2011

Proud of my Peers

It seems to be the busiest time of the year for everybody around here, especially Michelle. Every time I turn around, she's off to take pictures of something new, there's a new email about a new article, or a different project on her backburner. Hectic as her life, to me, may seem, it's great to be able to see the way things are inside of a Communications office. With the Leaves deadline looming, there are billions of things to be done and I'm honored to be able to help with them.

There are some things about being an intern here that are different from most places, however. I get the opportunity to go off-site to help track down photos of a student for the magazine, deadlines vary for web/print, and your work can some days depend solely on the responses of others. At times, it's up to our office to be the "annoying person"-if we NEED THAT QUOTE! It's very different than most industries, which is why I find I enjoy it so very much. I'm not usually one to sit still (in fact, I find that hard to do even when I should be relaxing), so I love the opportunity to constantly have different projects to work on. There's always a new interview, new assignment, new project. It's also teaching me quite a bit about my peers at Lasell, too.

Sometimes, I hear my peers say that Lasell students are "lazy", that Lasell is "easy" and boring. Yet I don't feel that way about my soon-to-be alma mater, and I'm finding neither do many of the students around me. The more articles I write and research I do on my peers, the more I find there are students here doing great things. Just like everywhere else in life, it's up to YOU to seize opportunity, or create them for yourself if you don't see them! Writing stories on my peers helps me to network with other students here that are taking advantage of what Lasell has to offer-and there's a lot here, in every department, if you know where to look and have the drive to succeed.

It's up to you, as a person, to find those challenges. This isn't preschool, and nobody's going to hold your hand. If you're dedicated then someone may point you in the right direction, but only you can put one foot in front of the other, and I'm proud to be a part of documenting the accomplishments of my peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment