Monday, March 21, 2011

Return to Monday Mornings

After a much-needed spring break filled with the perfect blend of friends, a little work and a lot of sleep, I find myself back in my cozy office in the Department of Communication here at Lasell with a caramel iced coffee in hand. I look Monday head on, ignoring the screams in my head to go back to sleep, and dive into my first day back at my internship head first: media advisory, web story, big story. Then I hit a bit of a roadblock.

The "big story" is one that I've been working on since the week before break, performing interviews with professors here at Lasell and digging up as much information I can gather. Slowly I've begun piecing together an article, but everything I've written thus far I revise each time I look back on it. Normally, I'd have had this out so much sooner, but every time I do another overlook I find another thing I want to change or a bit of information I forgot and can't bring myself to hit the "send" button for submission. I find myself moving like a turtle on this one. (Slow and steady wins the race, right?) What is going on here?! This can't be me, I don't lag on articles like this!

This is what I've gathered: The Monday morning after spring break is the hardest day of an internship all semester, seeing as at this time for the past week I've been sleeping. I can't seem to put together words on this last article; it's as if I need to re-program my brain! For me, a TRULY hard day isn't one when I have a ton to do. Even on the busiest days, my brain runs on automaticity and just pumps out one thing after another with time flying by.

I, however, refuse to accept defeat from this morning. It's time I throw myself back in the swing of things, multi-tasking like a true winner. My hours might be done in the office, but I'm hitting the send button on this thing by the end of the day. As the mighty Dr. Seuss once said, "I've got a big bat. I'm ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment