Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Road to the Real World

It finally feels as if spring may be creeping upon us this morning. While I didn't shudder from the cold for once, I did find myself quivering with the knowledge that graduation is right around the corner! Finding a job, an apartment-all very scary things while you're trying to finish copious amounts of homework.

One thing I'm proud to say I'm not worried about, however, is if I'm prepared for my first job. For the past few months, I'd secretly been wondering if I'm fully prepared to tackle the "real world". Yet the more I paid attention to it and dipped my paws in by sending emails, making phone calls and producing articles here, I've learned a secret: those "real-world" professionals I'd so feared are no different than me at all. The only difference is while I've been improving my portfolio to impress them, they've been working steadily to produce the same media to attract the attention of people like, well, me.

There are people in my class that sadly have never had an internship, and have made no conscious effort to get one. For them I feel terrible, as I know the feeling of wondering if I'm cut out for the jobs I want so badly. If not for my internship, I'd have had no idea that I'm on the exact same playing field as the "real world", just with a fresh mind to the field.

This being said, I'm grateful to say I feel as if I've taken the right road to the real world by being able to take this internship opportunity within the Communication department. Education is the foundation, but hands-on experience is irreplaceable!

Gotta go-back to writing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment