Friday, February 11, 2011

Intern-Mania!

One thing I love about Lasell is how small of a tight-knit community it is. For two of my major stories right now, I'm emailing people I haven't talked to in a long time about something they're doing and it's a great way to re-connect! Not only am I building a fantastic portfolio, but I'm able to follow what new and great things people I know are doing. I'm finding I've surrounded myself with quite an impressive crowd around here!

Another thing I'm truly enjoying is the wealth of information I take in every day. Each time I receive a story, I feel a rush to know more about it. If there's a website associated with any story (which most of the time, there is) I'm following it. Maybe I don't need to know every bit of information on every story, but it's those little background details that I feel give a piece a little something extra. I'll dive into a bio about a company founder, history of an organization, what goes on at each location branch, details of a competition.

I'm finding each day I work, I'm learning something new. Will I ever use the fact that Evelyn Murphy was Lt. Governer in 1986, or that The Food Project's Boston location is rooftop at the Boston Medical Center? Maybe, maybe not. But it's kind of like reading the book "How to Move Mt. Fuji" or "Why Flamingos Wear Pink"-I walk away chock-full of new information, and that's a great start to my day.

Emmalyn

No comments:

Post a Comment